Sunday, January 07, 2007

Nursing Bloopers

At the of November, I took my clinical exam. This was in two parts. During the first part, we examined a "real" patient, and then for the second part we wrote up our findings. We were in the new medical school, with their nice new examination rooms. You know those stools that you see in doctor's offices that roll around. Well, I tried to sit down to take a health history and fell down - twice. Both times my equipment fell out of my pockets. I finally got smart the second time and took out the heavy stuff. It also helped that I put the stool further down and did my best to keep it from rolling. Those are dangerous.
The exam itself went ok. My patient did have a leg cramp when I was doing the abdominal exam and I was running out of time. I was trying to be nice and let him recover. But at the same time I wanted to get him up so I could complete the exam. I did run over time in the end.
The story does not stop there. I was writing up my results, but had not thought that I should be writing in black pen. So my pen ran out of ink. I then borrowed a pen from someone else and her pen ran out. Luckily the 2nd pen I borrowed lasted until I finished. It's a good thing, otherwise my instructor would have gotten a report in her choice of pencil, blue or red.

No comments: