Friday, January 12, 2007

Advice for 1st semester students

So every semester, the 2nd semester students host a lunch for the 1st semester students. And last semester, for our lunch, some of the SNO officers came by and talked to us. They all gave us advice. Unfortunately I had lab this morning during the lunch, so I wasn't able to give them my two cents. This is what I would have said:
1. Clinicals are what makes it all worth it.
I loved clinicals. I found them very stressful, but it reminded me weekly why I'm in nursing school. It was amazing at the end of the semester how much I had learned. I felt comfortable doing all the skills on that long list. But more importantly, I felt comfortable talking to patients. I didn't realize this until after my final for clinicals: Even though I get so nervous, I've gotten good at developing that rapport.
2. Nursing school is more than studying.
I'm not just saying this because I'm my class president. I'm saying this because your classmates are your support system. You're with for 3 years. You'll be studying together, doing those horrid group projects together and eventually working with them. So now is the time to get to know them.
I doubt I would have said exactly that, but you get the point.

No comments: