Friday, January 19, 2007

Loving 2nd Semester

I'm enjoying 2nd semester. I'm starting to feel like a real nursing student on my way to being a real RN.
What I love:
1. I'm really enjoying our "Clinicals." They are now just all in dry lab and we won't go to the hospital for a couple of weeks. But we're doing real "nursing things" like toileting, bed changes and moving patients. Next week we do our first real procedure - NG tube insertion and tube feedings. Everyone is having fun. Even though we're three sections, we're all doing lab together. It's great because we all feel that we're getting the same education. (This is compared to last semester, when there was a difference between what the different clinical instructors were teaching.)
2. Fundamentals class is interesting. Our instructor is really knowledgeable about nursing. She doesn't teach a clinical section, but is often in lab giving us her "pearls of wisdom." She can be really intimidating, but is very nice about telling you what you're doing wrong. And she has a great sense of humor.
3. Finally I'm taking pathophysiology. It's still at the stage where it's all overwhelming. But it's nice to finally learn this stuff.

Next week we learn about nursing diagnosis. Some of it seems silly, since we were told right up front that hardly anyone uses them anymore. But I think I will find it helpful to help organize my thoughts.

Note: If you have a skinny butt, sitting on a bedpan isn't that uncomfortable. But if you butt is bigger like mine, they do start to cut into your butt.

No comments: