Saturday, August 06, 2005

Why I want to be a RN

I know I want to be a mid-level provider. So why don’t I just go straight to PA school or a masters-entry NP program?

1) I don’t know what area of healthcare I’m interested in. I originally decided to go into health because of my good primary care experiences with 2 different NPs. I even saw a PA once when I was in Indiana, though I didn’t know what she did at that time. But as I’ve done more research, I find what they do in hospitals, particularly critical care, fascinating. If I become a nurse first, I will have time to explore before choosing an area.

2) I want to travel a bit. See where I want to settle down. Particularly want to see if there is anywhere that suits my health. Recently, in the past few years, have been diagnosed with adult onset asthma. Personally, I’m starting to think there is no place in particular that would be better than others.

3) I’m enamored with the nursing model. I like the idea of holistic care, taking care of the whole person, as opposed to the medical model, which can focus on the disease. I may still change my mind about this, after actually taking nursing classes.

4) Related to the previous reason, direct patient care (other than cleaning up poop) is a big reason for me. Can’t articulate exactly what I mean, but it’s definitely floating in my mind.

5) I could use the money. All the previous education I have – a BA in American Studies and I came this close to getting my Masters in Library and Information Science. Ugh. Can’t believe I owe this much to the government. And can’t believe how hard it was to get money to go to school. And I can’t rely on my parents for whatever the next degree is because dad’s threatening to retire.

6) And I can finish a RN a lot faster than a NP or PA. I plan to go to a Accelerated BSN program which will take 12-18 months as opposed to 2-3 years to become a NP or PA.

7) Direct patient care experience under my belt will help me get into NP or PA school and help when I become a NP or PA.

There are other reasons, but thought I would post this with what I have thought of so far.

No comments: