Friday, July 27, 2007

Surgery - Done!

So I'm finally posting about my surgery. I've been fuzzy headed since then for a week with the pain killers and since then with the pain. I'll be a lot more understanding about the pain they are in.
It's funny how just having the surgery has renewed my interest in nursing. I was worn out after last semester, and had not been looking forward to this Fall.
And I can attribute my interest to the kind nurses at the hospital I was at. I admit I might have been distracted, because I was not only thinking about myself, but also about what they were up to. I had to look at the IV to see how they set it up. Which reminds me that I have a question. When I woke up they had a bag of Lactated Ringers instead of normal saline. I was wondering why they used that. I would think it would be more expensive. I don't think I've seen someone with LR during my clinicals.
Comparing this operation to my other two, I found this a much better experience. When I woke up I was not as groggy as my first operation on my wrist. I remember being so groggy I practically pushed myself out of the hospital to get home so I could sleep. The second time to take out my gallbladder I was nauseous afterwards. And I had more difficulty with my asthma acting up. I also think that abdominal pain is harder to deal with then knee or wrist pain. (In fact the first surgery, what bothered me most was my hip - where they took a bone graft from.)
I was impressed with the anesthesiologist. Not only did we talk about my previous experience with anesthesia, he explained to me what he was going to do - that he was going to give me something via IV to make me sleepy and O2. (The last thing I remember was him applying the mask.) He did a femoral block and warned me about the numbness afterward. I think that really helped with the pain. Before the block wore off the only pain I had was behind my knee. Though since then, my main problem with pain has been in front. And no asthma problems or nausea. Though I do remember the nurse in PACU giving report to the nurse in ambulatory care that I had some sinus tachycardia.
I can't wait to see surgery done. I want to know what happens after I fell asleep. And since I'm blind without my glasses, I also have not really even seen an OR.

No comments: